Welcome to the Northern region's learning page. In the Northern region we have a learning network based in the North East and a fledgling network in South Yorkshire. We have ULRs and branches working throughout the region to discuss and plan learning activity with the region and make sure that the events we hold are relevant and interesting. Last term we had over 300 members get involved in learning in the region.
Learning events that we have offered have included creativity in the classroom, raising boys achievement and behaviour management.
As a member in the Northern region you can get involved through completing a learning needs survey, attending an event or getting involved to become a union learning rep. This term a number of branches are undertaking learning needs surveys and will be using these to shape the events that will be on offer.
This term we are running events on protecting your professional online identity, and stress management and well-being.
Smart Strategies for Inclusive Teaching
Smart Strategies™ for inclusive teaching is a course specifically designed to give you the tools you need to achieve this in the classroom setting. It provides an overview of SpLDs, checklists to identify and easily implemented Smart Strategies™ to make learning more accessible.
- Co-occurrence in the SpLD spectrum
- Awareness of the SpLDs, ADHD/ ADD, dyslexia, dyspraxia and dyscalculia
- Recognizing the signs of a child or young person with a SPLD
- Smart Strategies™ for the inclusive teaching of a child or young person with a SpLD.
Suitable for: Teachers, Lecturers, Support Staff, Leadership, NQs and Trainees.
Venue tbc - 17 October 2015
Bridging the Gap in KS3-4 Maths
This course will look in detail at the gaps in knowledge that the current Yr 8 and 9 students may have (from following the old KS3, and progressing to the new GCSE).
This course will:
- look in detail at the gaps in knowledge that the current Yr 8 and 9 students may have.
- identify minor changes that the department can implement consistently to ease the transition to the new GCSE.
- try out some free resources created specifically to help bridge the identified major gaps in students' knowledge.
- spend time looking at how these resources can be embedded into your own departments Year 8 and 9 schemes for immediate impact.
Who this course is for
This course is suitable for KS3 maths leaders and Year 8 and 9 teachers.
All Saints RC School, Lower School, Nunnery Lane, York Y023 1JG - 03 October 2015
Starting out: preparing for placements and evidencing the teacher standards
This event is specifically aimed at trainees who have recently started initial teacher training. Join us for an introduction to starting out – how to make the most of your experiences and evidencing the teacher standards. We'll also touch on why you've joined a union and what your membership means for you.
Who this course is for
Trainees who have started ITT.
Sheffield - 31 October 2015
York - 14 November 2015
Newcastle - 28 November 2015