Welcome to the South West region learning page. In the South West workplace and branch ULRs work closely with members to find out what their training needs are. Together we have organised a range of events including voice care, IT and British Sign language.
Branches in the South West are very proactive in using learning opportunities to engage with members. The workshops that they have opened up to members have included behaviour management, SEN awareness and dyslexia awareness. This has had the effect that more members are actively involved in ATL; some decide to become reps others to attend branch meetings and take on specific roles. Part of my role will be to ensure you are supported along the way.
As member in the South West you can get involved through attending an event or even become part of the South West Learning Network. This term a number of branches are undertaking learning needs surveys and will be using these to shape the events that will be on offer in the future. Please take time to complete these as we do want your input.
Positive Communication and assertiveness - building your agency with parents, staff and management
This half day workshop will help you to understand how assertive behaviour can be learnt and understand the relationship between self-esteem and assertiveness. You will explore and practice positive communication strategies. You will also develop assertive methods for resolving key situations with colleagues leaders and parents.
- Vocal, Visual and Verbal - Elements of confident communicating.
- Benefits of assertiveness
- Fight, Flight, Freeze or Flock - The Neurology of Behaviour
- Aggressive, Passive or Submissive and Passive Aggressive Communication
- Handling Aggressive and Passive colleagues/parents
- Influence, Humour, Self-Talk and 'Woo'
- Exploring related issues and skills.
- The session will combine a mix of direct input from the course leader, coaching and development as well as discussion and sharing.
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Bristol City Centre, Redcliffe Way, Bristol BS1 6NJ - 27 April 2016