Workplace reps - post-induction (three-stage) course
Workplace reps have four main tasks:
- to provide information to other members in the school/college and to raise the profile of ATL by updating the staffroom noticeboard with posters and newsletters
- to recruit new members into ATL membership by introducing yourself to new members of staff and asking them to join
- to act as a communication link on key issues in education between ATL and other members in the school/college
- to signpost members in the school/college to sources of information and advice within ATL.
Workplace Rep Stage 1 (Building the union team)
This course builds on induction and will:
- teach you how to map your membership and find potential members
- develop your communication skills
- develop your recruiting skills, eg how and why we need to recruit new members
- assist you in building the union team in your workplace
- help you identify members' issues.
Workplace Rep Stage 2 (Handling casework)
Stage two looks at casework. Reps are the face and voice of the union and helping members to resolve issues is a key part of a rep's work. We want you to be confident in helping members and this day will introduce you to casework and members' rights.
This day of the course will:
- examine workplace procedures on grievance and disciplinary
- introduce you to employment law
- consider casework skills, eg interviewing and preparation
- develop an understanding of how to prepare and plan a case.
Workplace Rep Stage 3 (Negotiating skills)
The final day of the core training will take you to the next level of rep work; helping you to meet managers and assist members through negotiations and bargaining.
This day of the course will help you:
- prepare for negotiations
- understand when an issue is collective and how to bargain collectively
- identify the legal rights that may be used to support bargaining
- develop the skills needed when meeting with management.
Who this course is for
If you are a new rep or a rep who has not attended training in the last three years you should attend the induction course in your region if possible first. If you are unable to attend, you are able to start this three stage course and should sign up for stages one to three.
This course is free to ATL workplace reps.
Bristol - Stage 1 - 06 July 2016
Birmingham - Stage 3 - 06 July 2016
Manchester - Stage 3 - 16 June 2016
London - Stage 2 - 19 May 2016
London - Stage 3 - 07 July 2016