ULRs have a legal right to reasonable paid time off during working hours to carry out their duties where ATL have a workplace recognition agreement.
These duties may include:
- undertaking relevant training
- analysing the learning or training needs of ATL members
- providing information and advice on learning or training
- arranging learning or training
- consulting the employer about learning and training
- preparing for the above.
The law does not assign a negotiating role to ULRs. However, some employers may voluntarily negotiate learning agreements with their ULRs.
For further details, see the ACAS code of practice.