Who is eligible to join?
Membership of ATL is open to all those who are employed in education, from early years through to further and higher education.
Standard membership covers teachers and lecturers, head teachers and other senior managers, and all categories of support staff, such as TAs, technicians, librarians, administrators, exam officers, catering, cleaning and ground staff – in short, we represent all education professionals employed in maintained, academy and independent schools, and FE, HE and sixth form colleges.
ATL members work in England, Wales, Northern Ireland, Scotland, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man. ATL also has members who work in British service schools abroad, and in the independent sector throughout the UK. Please be aware that professionals who work in any country other than those listed above are ineligible for standard membership.
Whether you work full time or part time, are employed by a teaching or lecturing agency, whether you are training to be a teacher/lecturer, are retired, or are returning to education after a career break, ATL has lots to offer you.
Membership of ATL is organised into the following categories:
- Trainee - for all trainee teachers and FE and university lecturers
- Newly qualified - for all new teachers and FE and university lecturers
- Teacher and lecturer - for all other teachers and FE and university lecturers, including supply teachers and teachers without QTS.
- Leader and manager (AMiE) - for head teachers, deputy and assistant head teachers, members of senior leadership teams including school business managers and bursars, leaders and managers at all levels in academies, further education, sixth form and adult education colleges.
- Support staff - for those who have a support role in education.
- Support staff apprentices - free membership if you are working as an apprentice in a school or college on a one year placement.
- Examination Officers' Association - for members of the EOA.
- Habilitation VI (UK) - for Habilitation Specialists.
- Associate - for those involved in education but not requiring support relating to their current employment, including volunteers.
Please read our terms and conditions.
For full information on eligibility
If you are not sure whether you are eligible, please contact our recruitment hotline on 0845 057 7000 (local rates) or email our membership department.
Need more help?
If you haven't found the answer to your membership query on the page above, you can contact our membership team on tel: 020 7930 6441 (Monday to Friday, 9am - 5pm), or you can email us. If you are an ATL / AMiE member, please have your membership number to hand when telephoning and include it with any correspondence - this will help us to answer your query more quickly.