An employee's duties are to:
- take reasonable care of the health and safety of themselves and of others who may be affected by what they do or do not do
- cooperate with the employer on health and safety matters
- not misuse any equipment that is provided for safety purposes (eg fire extinguishers or safety goggles)
- follow instructions from the employer on health and safety matters and attend relevant health and safety training
- report hazards and defects observed in the workplace.
Most school or college health and safety policies include these duties.
Need further advice?
Your first point of contact is your ATL/AMiE rep in your school or college. Your local ATL/AMiE branch is also available to help with queries, or you can contact AMiE's member advisors on tel: 0345 8118111 or email us. Please have your membership number to hand when telephoning and include it with any correspondence - this will help us to answer your query more quickly.