If an overnight stay is involved, the fire safety and evacuation plan for the building should be checked. Consider carrying out a fire drill shortly after arrival.
Checklist in the event of an accident
The immediate action checklist for group leaders during a visit should cover:
- establishing the nature and extent of emergency promptly
- ensuring that everyone in the group is safe
- establishing the names of casualties and arranging immediate medical attention
- ensuring a teacher/lecturer accompanies casualties to hospital, providing doctors with any relevant medical information
- notifying the police if necessary
- informing the school or college contact and provider/tour operator (someone at the school or college should be available on the telephone at all times during the trip)
- contacting the school or college with the following information: the nature, date and time of the incident; where it happened; names of casualties and information about their injuries; what has been done so far and action yet to be taken
- notifying the British Embassy or Consulate if an incident occurs abroad
- ensuring that the school/college notify parents and, normally, insurers
- writing down what happened promptly, noting witnesses and preserving vital evidence, ascertaining phone numbers for future calls
- keeping an account of events, times and contacts after any incident
- completing an accident report as soon as possible (serious accidents or incidents involving violence may need to be reported to the Health and Safety Executive)
- referring any media enquiries to a named contact in the LA or at the school/college
- avoid discussions about legal liability
- keeping receipts of costs incurred in the emergency (for the insurers).
Need further advice?
Your first point of contact is your ATL/AMiE rep in your school or college. Your local ATL/AMiE branch is also available to help with queries, or you can contact AMiE's member advisors on tel: 0345 8118111 or email us. Please have your membership number to hand when telephoning and include it with any correspondence - this will help us to answer your query more quickly.