Independent schools do not have to pay their teachers in accordance with the School Teachers' Pay and Conditions Document (STPCD) in England and Wales, Teachers' Salaries and Conditions of Service Committee circulars in Northern Ireland or the Scottish Negotiating Committee for Teachers pay deal in Scotland.
However, some independent schools state that they will pay in line with the maintained sector.
Checklist for independent staff
If you are employed in the independent sector you should ensure that you request a copy of the school's pay policy and scale prior to accepting your appointment.
You may wish to check the following points prior to accepting your post:
- your starting salary
- if there is any progression on the pay scale
- when any progression will take place
- what you have to do to progress
- if there is an annual cost of living increase added to all pay scales and how this is determined
- if there are any other benefits for teachers at the school.
- ATL briefing on collective bargaining
- ATL Starter for ten – collective bargaining
- Survey on teachers' pay in the Independent Sector (2014)
- Survey on support staff in the Independent Sector (2014)
- Maintained sector pay scales
- Support staff (local government) pay scales
- School Teachers' Pay and Conditions Document
- ATL's guide to working in the independent sector