TLR payments must clearly be identified in the school's staffing structure.
Criteria and factors for TLR payments
A TLR1 or TLR2 payment may only be made to a qualified classroom teacher who is accountable for a significant, specified responsibility.
The TLR1 or TLR2 payment should be for a sustained responsibility in the context of the school's structure needed to ensure continued delivery of high-quality teaching and learning.
TLRs must only be awarded for significant responsibilities that are not required of all classroom teachers and that:
- are focused on teaching and learning
- require the exercise of a teacher's professional skills and judgement leading, developing and enhancing the teaching practice of others
- require the teacher to lead, manage and develop a subject or curriculum area or pupil development across the curriculum
- have an impact on the education progress of pupils other than the teacher's assigned classes or pupil groups and
- involve leading, developing and enhancing the teaching practice of other staff.
In addition, TLR1 post must also have line management responsibility for a significant number of people.
It is only permissible for a teacher to receive one TLR1 or TLR2 payment at any one time.
Schools may award a TLR3 payment to any qualified classroom teacher for a short-term or time-limited project. The value of the award and the length of time that it will be in payment for should be agreed at the start of the project.
TLR3s must satisfy the same criteria as for a TLR2 payment with the exception of (c) and (e) above.
Only one TLR3 payment can be received at anyone time. A TLR3 payment may be made to a teacher who is in receipt of a TLR 1 or a TLR2 payment. TLR3 payments are not safeguarded at the end of the agreed period. TLR3 payments are not paid pro-rata to part-time teachers.
Need further advice?
Your first point of contact is your ATL/AMiE rep in your school or college. Your local ATL/AMiE branch is also available to help with queries, or you can contact AMiE's member advisors on tel: 0345 8118111 or email us. Please have your membership number to hand when telephoning and include it with any correspondence - this will help us to answer your query more quickly.