As an ATL health and safety rep, your role includes:
- educating members to ensure they recognise both hidden and more obvious health and safety issues, and keeping them at the top of workplace and branch agendas
- encouraging engagement between health and safety reps and members to discuss how issues can be solved
- working in partnership with other unions and employers to ensure positive outcomes when dealing with potential health and safety issues
- working closely with ATL reps and improving networks to ensure reps are not isolated in their workplace.
ATL members have the right to appoint their own safety representatives in every workplace regardless of how small or large the membership is. The decision is not a matter for the employer. An employer-appointed safety rep will not necessarily focus on the same areas of concern as members.
Health and safety reps are legally entitled to investigate health and safety concerns and have paid time off (see rights of safety reps for more). And ATL supports our safety reps every step of the way, with accredited training, a section of the website dedicated to health and safety (accessible from the home page), additional resources, including a dedicated newsletter and a dedicated health and safety advisor, who is available via ATL's London office on 020 7930 6441, or via our online contact form.
ATL's health and safety reps community has continued to grow over the last year, with more reps being signed up and being trained than ever before. If you are not already a health and safety rep but would be interested in hearing more, please email our health and safety team.
- The role of health and safety rep
- Rights of safety reps
- Resources for safety reps
- A guide to health and safety organising by the TUC
Need further advice?
Due to essential database maintenance AdviceLine telephone system will be closed from Thursday 6th December at 5pm until Tuesday 11th December. During this time you will still be able to email your enquires to firstname.lastname@example.org If your enquiry is urgent please contact your regional or Wales office. We are sorry about this gap in the service but it is not possible for telephone calls to be responded to efficiently without access to membership records.