There are activities directly relevant to teaching and learning for which it would be appropriate to use gained time and which would be reasonable for a head teacher to direct teachers to undertake. They are:
- developing or revising department/subject curriculum materials, schemes of work, lesson plans and policies in preparation for the new academic year - including identifying appropriate materials for use by supply staff and/or cover supervisors
- assisting colleagues in appropriate planned team teaching activities
- taking groups of pupils to provide additional learning support
- supporting selected pupils with coursework
- undertaking planned activities with pupils transferring between year groups or from primary school
- CPD during school session, where a school has a policy allowing this.
If teachers are directed to cover during gained time, it must count towards the 38-hour limit - see the cover section of this website.