Usually, once elected the vice president follows a path through the ranks, over a three year period. In their second year they become president and finally immediate past president. The policy officer and treasurer & member governance officer each serve for a period of two years and are elected in alternate years.
This year the periods of office will depend on the outcome of the ballot to establish a new union. If the decision is to proceed the terms of office will be as follows:
- Vice president: The vice president will serve as ATL vice president from 1 September 2017 to 31 August 2018, as ATL president from 1 September 2018 to 31 December 2018, as joint NEU president from 1 January 2019 to 31 August 2019, then NEU past president from 1 September 2019 to 31 August 2020.
- AMiE vice president: The AMiE vice president will serve one year from 1 September 2017 to 31 August 2018, then as AMiE president from 1 September 2018 to 31 December 2018.
- Policy Officer: The Policy Officer will serve from 1 September 2017 to 31 December 2018.
Nominations open on Tuesday, 8 November 2016 and close Friday, 9 December 2016.
- Candidates must currently be a standard member and must have been one for three years including the 12 months immediately prior to the closure of nominations.
- Candidates must be nominated by at least 10 members of the Executive Committee, or at least one branch, or 25 standard members from more than one workplace or in the case of the AMiE vice president nominated and seconded.
- Nominators are required to clearly indicate who they are nominating, their name and ATL membership number and candidates must accept their nomination by signing a statement to this effect.
The nomination pack is available below or from Pat Ware at the London Office.
Please return nominations to Pat Ware by noon on Friday, 9 December 2016.
Ballot and hustings
If the nominations exceed the number of available seats a ballot will be held and within 10 working days of the close of nominations all candidates may submit an electoral address (no more than 300 words) and a recent photograph.
Canvassing is permitted only in accordance with the by laws and protocol approved by the Executive Committee. I would draw your attention to clause 22 which states that canvassing for the purpose of gaining written nomination may only be undertaken from the date of issue of the notice of election. Clause 26 sets out the forms of canvassing allowed up to the date voting closes.
If there is more than one candidate for the position of ATL vice president a hustings event will take place during the week commencing 23 January 2017.